Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Account Retention

From: Benjamin Schwartz <bschwar2 () ASHLAND EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:07:06 -0700

Here at Ashland we had a long standing myth supported by zero documentation that alumni get to keep email forever. As
you might guess this practice led to other user types getting to keep user accounts and email, "forever."

We have recently put a stop to this because of the numerous issues it has caused in combination with the difficulty in
managing a great deal of scenarios related to user account types. Since our process is automated the best way to handle
this problem was to stop it.

We accomplished this by giving graduates one month post graduation to vacate their email account with automated message
notifications to inform them of the account getting shutdown. We found notifications were helpful as most don't read
policies. Other user types have followed a similar process.

We have successfully removed roughly 43,000 accounts in the last 6 months. Making our account pool cleaner, more
secure, and manageable.

Our biggest battle was with the alumni office.

Benjamin Schwartz
Director of Infrastructure and Security
Ashland University