Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Account Retention

From: Jim Cheetham <jim.cheetham () OTAGO AC NZ>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 09:31:09 +1300

Excerpts from George J. Silowash's message of January 18, 2019 3:01 am:
I have what I hope is a quick question. After a student leaves your university (graduates, withdrawals, etc) do you
deactivate their account?

The question was quick, I'll give you that ...

What is "an account"? Do you mean "access to teaching/learning services" such as email, printing, file store etc; or do
you mean "access to personal information" such as course history, transcripts, applications to future courses?

We're trying very hard to separate out these things in a sensible way, hampered in some ways by an early practice that
implied a student has one username for ever, i.e. they can graduate one course, then reapply for another any time in
the future (20 years+ at the moment) and get the same username.

We withdraw *services* when students are not active with us. Perhaps this counts as "deactivating" :-)

-jim

--
Jim Cheetham, Cyber Security, University of Otago, Dunedin, N.Z.
✉ jim.cheetham () otago ac nz    ☏ +64 3 470 4670