Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Retiree Email Accounts

From: "Graves, Rich" <rxgraves () IU EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 14:50:21 +0000

At most (all?) of my current and former institutions, emeriti are now properly tracked in the HR and identity
management systems, so no different from other accounts, really. "Ownership" of the relationship is at the provost or
dean level. If you don't have that, get someone working on it. It'll take a lot of time but it'll be worth it.

In the past, account "keepalive" (literally) was handled, somewhat, by an annual or biannual password change
requirement. I know of at least one case where the surviving spouse continued to use the deceased emeritus's account,
though, and several where they shared it with other family.

At all of my current and former institutions, emeriti are required to use 2-factor just like everyone else. So the
historical problem of never being confident if emeriti have been phished (and whom to contact when they clearly were)
has mostly gone away. Mostly.

Rich Graves <rxgraves () iu edu>
Principal Security Engineer
https://OmniSOC.iu.edu/