Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Repeat offenders during phishing campaign

From: Greg Williams <gwillia5 () UCCS EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 17:05:39 +0000

While I'm not technically in my IT security department anymore - I still always have that hat on, so that being said,
here's my response.  I think phishing campaigns work when they are used for training purposes.  The moment that you
single out people, IT now becomes a spy entity and you lose trust with not only the individuals who you singled as
repeat offenders, but everyone who the repeat offenders also then tell.

When CU first started phishing campaigns years ago, it was specifically stated that absolutely no one, with the
exception of the person running the campaign know, who fell for it.  This keeps trust intact in my opinion.

Real phishing compromises are different and they should be talked to and singled out because there are consequences.

Greg Williams, ME
Director of Networks and Infrastructure
Information Technology

Adjunct Faculty
Department of Computer Science - College of Engineering and Applied Science

University of Colorado Colorado Springs
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, (EPC 136A)
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Phone: (719) 255-3292