Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Content Filtering

From: Brian Helman <bhelman () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:53:41 +0000

We have implemented a middle ground on filtering web content – filtering, but not blocking.  Specifically, we take
advantage of our Palo Alto URL-filtering to notify the surfer that the site they are about to visit may be
questionable.  They have the option to acknowledge and continue or close that session.  This has cut down on the
complaints regarding inappropriate/offensive content being displayed in public areas (labs, cafeterias, etc).

-Brian Helman