Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Content Filtering

From: Donald Welch <djwelch () UMICH EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 14:59:55 -0400

Thanks Jacob.   A public university will be a little harder sell than a
religious institution I'll bet.
Don

Donald J. Welch, Ph.D.
Chief Information Security Officer
University of Michigan
734-615-0334

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Barros, Jacob <jkbarros () grace edu> wrote:

With the exception eight endpoints on the main level of our library, we
filter all users, including guests and events facilities, at all
locations.  Our primary concern is web security / system protection but we
have found that traditional content filtering goes hand in hand.  Our
Student Affairs department has chosen to block a few categories of web
sites that are controversial, but on the whole, what we filter (arguably)
leads to a better network environment.

We use PaloAlto as our edge device for the main campus and have used
Sonicwall where throughput is minimal.  Neither solution requires much
effort once in place though the PaloAlto is far superior in my opinion.
The request for exceptions with PaloAlto is not automated as with previous
solutions we have had, but other than that we are pleased.

We have had content filtering in place almost as long as we have had
internet access.  Maybe 6 months to a year total without it.  Since we've
always had it, no one complains. I can only imagine the politics you will
need to overcome for a implementation like this to be widely adopted and
successful.

Jake Barros  |  Network Administrator  |  Office of Information Technology
Grace College and Seminary  |  Winona Lake, IN  |  574.372.5100 x6178