Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Content Filtering

From: "Bradley, Stephen" <bradlesw () MIAMIOH EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:39:52 -0400

My guess is the first thing you will hear is "Academic Freedom" on why no
filtering should be allowed.

Filter only known bad traffic such as malware distribution sites and put a
web cache in.

steve

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Donald Welch <djwelch () umich edu> wrote:

Colleagues,
I'm the new CISO for the University of Michigan.  I look forward to
meeting you and working with you.  One of my first issues is web content
filtering.

I've been asked whether any other higher education institutions implement
web content filtering and if so what groups to you filter for and what
kinds of content.  If you wish, I'd also welcome your opinion on how well
it works.

This has started with our health system and my guess is that would be our
focus if we went forward.  However, one of our Trustees has been
questioning why we don't filter across the University.  I have to go to an
initial meeting Friday afternoon, so any info you can give me before then
would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Don

Donald J. Welch, Ph.D.
Chief Information Security Officer
University of Michigan
734-615-0334

--
Stephen W. Bradley CISSP GCFA GCIH GWAPT SSCP
Senior Security Engineer