Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

OneDrive for Business and DLP

From: Timothy Pierson <Timothy.Pierson () LIVE COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:34:32 -0500

Greetings,

We are currently licensed for OneDrive for Business (ODB) and have just
recently rolled it out, with a minimum amount of our Faculty/Staff
participating.  As many of you know, Microsoft has a slow roll out of their
DLP functionality, which is part of our ODB license.  Right now, the DLP
functions aren't all there, with an expectation of Microsoft's 6 month to 1
year delivery.

The question(s) I want to pose is whether or not you are using a third part
DLP functionality with OneDrive for Business; if you are relying on strong
policy and waiting on the ODB DLP functionality; or have been and are
planning on continuing without DLP, relying on policy.

I guess I am also asking if investing in a third party DLP until Microsoft
ODB product is ready in 6 Months to a year is practical, or rely upon policy
and communications until then.

This is the debate we are having right now, and I would like to hear what
some of you are doing and your opinions.

Thanks,

Tim