Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Eduroam and Student Usage

From: Julian Y Koh <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:57:56 +0000

On Tue Aug 26 2014 10:47:54 CDT, "Pardonek, Jim" <jpardonek () LUC EDU> wrote:
If you are an eduroam school I would be interested in what you are doing do discourage or prevent students or even
faculty/staff from using it in lieu of the secured ssid.

We can quarantine hosts on any of our wireless networks: secured, guest, or eduroam.  When a faculty/staff/student
connects to eduroam, they get the same experience as they would on our regular secured network.

We actually see a ton of faculty/staff/students on our guest network, usually because they’re using devices that either
can’t support WPA2-Enterprise or there’s some issue with the device that prevents it from joining the secured network.
The deterrents here are that:

1.) some resources are not available from the guest network,
2.) bandwidth limitations, and
3.) registration required every 7 days.

But honestly for most of the things that these folks are doing, things still work, so they continue to use it.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>