Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Eduroam and Student Usage

From: Robert Winding <bob () ALUMNI ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:35:33 -0400

Eduroam results in the same NAC as our secure network if you're ND student,
faculty, employee, in the nd.edu domain.

BobW

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Pardonek, Jim <jpardonek () luc edu> wrote:

 I am sorry if this has been discussed before, but we have recently
turned up and eduroam ssid on campus and have noticed a mass exodus from
our secured (with NAC) ssid over to eduroam where we are not posturing
computers.  We have our normal concerns such as being able to quarantine a
DMCA offender or a computer with malware until we can find it and get it
cleaned, etc.

If you are an eduroam school I would be interested in what you are doing
do discourage or prevent students or even faculty/staff from using it in
lieu of the secured ssid.

I apologize for bothering the non-eduroam schools. 

Jim

*James Pardonek, MS, CISSP, CEH*

*Information Security Officer*

* Loyola University Chicago  1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660 *
* (**: (773) 508-6086 <%28773%29%20508-6086>*