Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Eduroam and Student Usage

From: "Pardonek, Jim" <jpardonek () LUC EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:47:54 +0000

I am sorry if this has been discussed before, but we have recently turned up and eduroam ssid on campus and have
noticed a mass exodus from our secured (with NAC) ssid over to eduroam where we are not posturing computers.  We have
our normal concerns such as being able to quarantine a DMCA offender or a computer with malware until we can find it
and get it cleaned, etc.

If you are an eduroam school I would be interested in what you are doing do discourage or prevent students or even
faculty/staff from using it in lieu of the secured ssid.

I apologize for bothering the non-eduroam schools. 

Jim

James Pardonek, MS, CISSP, CEH
Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660

•: (773) 508-6086