Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WSJ Article - A Contrarian View on Data Breaches

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 15:53:14 +0000

There are a wide variety of metrics (key performance indicators) that can be used for either a retail company or higher
education.  Higher education institution level business KPIs might include:

Number of applicants
Matriculation rate
Student departure rate
Donor giving (total dollars or rates)
Research grant application success rate
Acceptance rate for faculty/staff job offers
Employee departure rate
State funding level (for public institutions)
Passing rate of institution supported legislation
Acceptance rate of research papers/talks

While stock prices are a big deal for publically traded companies, investors are going to be looking at a lot more
variables, overlapping greatly with the metrics that privately held companies probably watch.  These could include
everything from profit margins to customer churn rate to conversion rates on advertising.

Brad Judy