Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WSJ Article - A Contrarian View on Data Breaches

From: Peter Lundstedt <peter.lundstedt () DRAKE EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 13:51:55 +0000

I agree that reputational damage is much harder to measure than financial damage.  It seems like it takes an extreme
event with a large scope to have a noticeable impact.  I would say the Target breach had a reputational impact, as did
the one impacting UMD earlier this year.  These are attacks you still see in the news months after the original
notification.

Peter Lundstedt|  Information Security Analyst
Drake Technology Services (DTS) | Drake University