Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WSJ Article - A Contrarian View on Data Breaches

From: Ben Woelk <fbwis () RIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 15:33:08 +0000

We had an employee of TJX attend a attend a security presentation on campus a few years ago. He stated that their 2007
breach hadn't been more than a blip on the radar for TJX and that sales had remained good. According to
http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2007/10/25/tjx_timeline/, TJX put the cost of the breach at $256 million.
There were 45.6M card numbers affected.

Ben Woelk
Member, Awareness and Training Working Group
Higher Education Information Security Council
http://www.educause.edu/heisc

ISO Program Manager
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, New York 14623
585.475.4122
ben.woelk () rit edu<mailto:ben.woelk () rit edu>
http://security.rit.edu/dsd.html

Become a fan of RIT Information Security at
http://rit.facebook.com/RITInfosec<http://rit.facebook.com/profile.php?id=6017464645>

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/RIT_InfoSec