Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WSJ Article - A Contrarian View on Data Breaches

From: "McClenon, Brady" <Brady.McClenon () ONEONTA EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 16:00:00 +0000

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/Stock/TGT/financials/income/quarter

Sales seemed to dive in Q1 for Target, but that's post-Christmas.  You would expect a drop in sales.  Wal-Mart follows
the same pattern, albeit not as sharp, but Target had better Q4-2013 growth (which included 42 days after breach
disclosure).

Also, the day of the breach disclosure target stock sat around $61.  It fell to a low of $54 and is already back to $59
less than 8 months later.

I think the jury is still out on reputation impacts of the breach...

Brady McClenon
Information Technology Security Administrator
Information Technology Services
SUNY College at Oneonta
607-436-3203

"Quotes found on the internet are not always accurate."  - Abraham Lincoln