Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Upgrade

From: Nathaniel Hall <educause-lists () NATHANIELHALL COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 14:41:37 -0600

DISCLAIMER: I *used* to work for a Check Point/Palo
Alto/Fortinet/Juniper vendor.

My personal preference is Palo Alto. I believe that in most cases they
are easier to use, but they also require a slightly different way of
thinking. Troubleshooting can become much more difficult if you don't
take their differences into account. Packet flow is not always as you
would expect. Packets you expect to be blocked may not be if you don't
have your rules configured as recommended or if you don't consider
application dependencies.

I run a PA-200 at home with nearly every feature enabled and in-use. I
haven't had any issues. The interface is pretty easy to understand and
they are very flexible in being able to come up with non-standard solutions.

App-ID, Vulnerability Protection, and IPSEC can slow the device down
quite a bit. Proper tuning of rules can reduce the impact. Policy Based
Forwarding can cause some major headaches if you don't understand how it
works. It also gets a semi-pass grade when it comes to ISP redundancy.
It's not supported in the same way as Check Point and others do. In PAN
it is just another connection and you use Policy Based Forwarding to
create the redundancy. It's more of a workaround.

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GPPA GCIA GCIH GCFA CNSE