Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Upgrade

From: Ben Parker <BParker () CHICORPORATION COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:31:21 -0500

Before I moved to the dark side of reselling when I was at the University of Mount Union, we had also gone the Palo
Alto Networks route after doing a bake off. From my current experience as a SE, of our Next-Gen/UTM products it is my
preference to sell Palo Alto because it wins the technical product competitions every time.  They also will let you do
a 30 day eval, that you can put in place with 0 downtime so see how it works and what you are missing on your current
environment.

To address Ronald's concern, your Palo Alto SE or partner SE has access to tools that can automatically translate l3
and l4 rules to app rules. It isn't perfect but will get you 90% of the way.  Alternatively you can install it in what
is called a vwire mode to start and gradually move the rules over at a slower pace so you can understand and verify
what is going on.

Since you asked about the Pros and Con's the best way I can describe it when comparing Palo Alto to some of the other
less expensive UTMs like Sonicwall or Sophos is.

 UTMs are generally harder to manage, with less detail and perform more poorly when services are enabled to decrease
the cost of the device. You need to choose whether this lower cost outweighs the functionality, manageability or
performance from a Palo Alto box.

Checkpoints and Cisco devices should be pretty close to above the Palo Alto pricewise. The exception is if you are
looking it doing a network refresh with Cisco they may practically give you a new ASA.

That is my 2 cents. If you any other questions I would be happy to answer them.

Ben Parker
System Engineer
Chi Corporation
440-498-2300