Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Upgrade

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:09:16 -0500

We upgraded our Cisco ASAs to Palo Alto Networks' next-gen firewalls about a
year ago.  We are very happy with it.  I guess the pros and cons will vary
based on what your moving from.  For us, we have greater granularity,
application (beyond layer 4) detection and filtering, and more features
including IPS, URL filtering and anti-malware.

The biggest con is having to convert standard layer 3 and 4 firewall rules.
As an example, we allowed ports 80 and 443 through to our web server.  Now,
we allow "web-browsing," "ssl," and "flash" as well as ports 80 and 443.  In
some cases, we create a policy allowing the ports and logging connections.
We will review the rules after some time and add the applications to permit
or deny.

 Feel free to contact me directly.

Got a Phish (email)? Forward it to abuse () nsu edu!

Ronald King
Security Engineer
Norfolk State University
http://security.nsu.edu