Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Termination / Retirement Policies

From: Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham () PCT EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:51:24 +0000

We don't do any research work but we don't let anyone keep any hardware the college purchased when they retire. We
might let someone buy their computer if it would just go to our auction because of age but we would wipe all data from
the hard drive and reinstall just windows if we did.

We create two accounts for students who teach or employees who take classes. A student account and en employee account.
We even extend this to work study and any part time student employee. It is not the best system but it fixes the two
issues you have and allows us to treat that account base on the rules for the role.  Access rights on each account is
set to the role. If active directory had a concept of a role that is attached to an account and access rights assigned
to the role we would not need to do this.