Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Another Java Thread

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:43:52 +0000

On Apr 23, 2013, at 8:47 PM, "Shettler, David" <dshettle () HOLYCROSS EDU> wrote:
Maybe it would have been easier to have had individual builds for each platform through the years, but it does not
seem obvious that it would have been...

This is more about managing technology platforms.  Prior to java, Oracle Forms (which is where the INB JRE requirement
comes from as I understand it) had an old fat client implementation and the forms technology migrated to JRE.  There's
a LOT there and it won't go away any time soon. The new version of Oracle's technology supports richer HTML5ish
experiences.

One way to word this is "eliminate custom plugin dependencies on the client side".  We're winning a little bit thanks
to Apple and hopefully we can start just requiring "full browser-level application compatibility with tables such as
iPad/Android browsers".  I'm not generally in favor of the "full apps" on the client side because those seem to
recreate previously solved problems such as SSO/etc.   Some places though the application will be so drastically
functional you'll have to accept that level of platform integration.