Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Another Java Thread

From: "Shettler, David" <dshettle () HOLYCROSS EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:47:23 -0400

I just wanted to encourage other schools who are struggling with vendor
solutions that still require Java 1.6 on client workstations (and I suppose
even server-side) to snail mail...yes, snail mail their vendors.  We've
received great responses from doing just that.  We go a bit further and
request that they move off of client dependencies altogether.  No java, no
flash, and we end it with:

"Going forward, during competitive product comparisons, the College will
negatively weigh vendor solutions that require client-side dependencies
such as Java and Flash."

As aforementioned, great response so far, though admittedly not a ton of
practical solutions.  If more of us do it though, who knows...

Best,

David

--
David Shettler