Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Event Log Monitoring - Recommendations

From: Patrick Gorsuch <patrick.gorsuch () GALLAUDET EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:45:04 -0400

Pulling from my history in Startup-land, I completely agree with expanding the view from security to include system/application maintenance and development. As necessary, partition views, and scrub recorded data, but definitely elevate this collection of event data to the level of a valued resource for all that are involved in system management and design. (Meaningful log entries from developers. You're silly.)

I'm a huge fan of Splunk, hence the cluster that I fought for many years ago. Yes, it's a bit of work to create all of the audience-appropriate screens and views, but the ability to "just dig in" to an otherwise daunting bucket of data really can't be beat. Since its inception, my teams have grown to rely on this ready access which has translated into drastically reduced troubleshooting times.

- Pat

Patrick N. Gorsuch
Manager, Networks and Information Security
Gallaudet University
patrick.gorsuch () gallaudet edu