Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Event Log Monitoring - Recommendations

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:43:07 +0000

  When I worked in the private sector, in a pure Windows/domain environment, I had a utility that cycled around every
couple of hours collecting system logs.  And so when the director of engineering came screaming at me to fix the
"network issue that is keeping engineers from connecting to the source code repository", I was able to point out to him
that that machine had, within the last 24 hours, started logging repeating critical hard drive failures and that there
was no evidence of a network issue....  (It would have been nice to have been able to turn that event into an automated
alert, if I had had the manpower or budget.)

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP