Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Login/Logoff Activity

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:24:09 -0400

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:01:36 -0400, Walter Moore said:

investigations. We have never made any effort to see see if people are
accessing restricted systems when they are on sick leave or vacation.

Though the case can be made that if Joe Smith is known to be on vacation
in Hawaii, any attempted access with his credentials from Zanzibar is
probably suspect.

On the other hand, a login from Zanzibar is even *more* suspect if Joe
is sitting in his office. :)

Similarly, it's pretty easy to establish a pattern of when I'm in my office,
and when I come in via VPN from a relatively small chunk of Comcast cable
address space, so if an attempt is made from a Starbuck's, that's probably
well into the unusual...

How many of you do anomaly analysis for stuff like this?  And what sorts of
anomalies have you found useful or not useful to track?