Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Password length and complexity

From: Eric Weakland <eric () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 13:08:10 -0400

Greetings,

Do any of you have any links handy to scholarly/technical articles that
have recommendations or strategies on choosing appropriate password length
and complexity requirements?  We're working on extending out password
expiration period significantly - let's say 1 year, and will be using
things like 2-factor for extremely sensitive accounts, and I want to make
sure we are using a sound rationale/reasons for the length we choose -
backed up by some research.

Anyone know of useful studies/research results that could help guide our
recommendations?

Best,

Eric Weakland, CISSP, CISM, CRISC
Director, Information Security
Office of Information Technology
American University
eric at american.edu
202.885.2241

AU IT will never ask for your password via e-mail.
Don't share your password with anyone!