Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password length and complexity

From: Alan Stockdale <astockdale () EDC ORG>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:23:42 -0400

--Electronic Authentication Guideline. 2011. NIST SP800-63 (see esp. "Appendix A: Estimating Entropy and Strength").
--Guide to Enterprise Password Management (Draft). 2009.  NIST SP800-118
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsSPs.html

Worth asking how they are being stored an can they be stored more securely. A lot of passwords are stored in a manner that
doesn't provide adequate protection.
See http://www.troyhunt.com/2012/06/our-password-hashing-has-no-clothes.html

[cid:edc_logo18d7a2c]<http://www.edc.org>
EDCInc