Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question About Password Resets

From: David Curry <david.curry () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 12:44:59 -0400

We require everyone to provide their university identification number,
their username, and their date of birth. If the person is (or ever has
been) an employee, we also require the last four digits of their SSN/ITIN.

If the individual does not know his or her username he or she can look it
up by providing identification number and last name.

If the individual does not know his or her identification number, the
various departments (Human Resources, Student Services, Alumni) have each
defined a process for giving it out over the phone. Generally, the caller
has to provide three or four pieces of information correctly. If the staff
member taking the call is suspicious, we require the person to visit the
office in person.

The security of this process is not perfect by any means, but it has worked
well in practice, and we have not had any significant issues.

--Dave

--

*DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP* • DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY

*THE NEW SCHOOL* • 55 W. 13TH STREET • NEW YORK, NY 10011

+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.curry () newschool edu

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Roger A Safian