Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question About Password Resets

From: "Schumacher, Adam J." <adamschumacher () CREIGHTON EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 22:14:55 +0000

We have two mechanisms in place.  One is a two-factor online reset process.  When a person activates their account,
they must provide answers to security questions as well as either an external email or cell phone number to which we
send a reset code.  Once they've answered the questions and entered the code, they can set a new password.

The other mechanism is for individuals who either can't remember the answers to their questions, or cannot log on to
their computer to get to the web site.  It is an application the service desk uses to ask a series of questions that
the individual must answer correctly in order to reset the password.  The questions and answers are presented in such a
way to make it difficult for the service desk to "help" the individual in answering (or fall victim to social
engineering).

If that all fails, the person must come in person to the service desk and present a government issued photo ID

sha1(

Adam Schumacher
Information Security Engineer
Creighton University

Don't share your password with ANYONE,  EVER. This means YOU!

402-280-2383
402-672-1732

) = 7b74afd47a1443f2d16598447a992dc6e987a7a0