Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Question About Password Resets

From: Jim Pardonek <jpardonek () LUC EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 11:00:00 -0500

We've recently had some issues with our current password reset process, particularly when a faculty or staff member is
out of town and calls for a password reset.  We also have an issue because our campuses are spread out geographically
which makes it difficult for someone to come in person.  I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I was
wondering what other institutions are doing regarding password resets via telephone?  Or do you do something else.  I
am looking to make a recommendation to "re-tool" our password reset policy and process so any input would be most
welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

James Pardonek, CISSP, CEH
Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660

(: (773) 508-6086