Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking p2p traffic

From: David Curry <david.curry () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:11:47 -0400

Just one. It was an off-list reply, so I'll leave it to the author to chime
in if he/she wants.

But the gist of the response was that they had used a PacketShaper to limit
(not block) P2P on the network, allowing it to have more bandwidth during
less busy times. They got rid of it a couple of years ago and spent the
money on more bandwidth instead. They get about the same number of DMCA
notices, but they have more bandwidth.

--Dave

--

*DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP* • DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY

*THE NEW SCHOOL* • 55 W. 13TH STREET • NEW YORK, NY 10011

+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.curry () newschool edu