Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking p2p traffic

From: Russ Leathe <Russ.Leathe () GORDON EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 20:38:52 +0000

Great product and support!!

We have used Netequalizer for about 6 years.  Very pleased with the results as it uses the  ' fairness' principle. That
is, total bw divide by # of users equals bw per user.  Pretty brilliant idea.   We noticed a change right away - within
the first hour -with response and speed.  We were a packeteer shop but quickly switch to netequalizer from day one.
The students stopped complaining.
:)

We were literally spending about 2-3 (or more) hours per day managing the packeteer....now with the netequalizer its
maybe 2-3 hours a year.  The time we do spend on it is  for reports and upgrades.  When we need reports, it readily
available.

Set it and  forget it! With limited staff, I recouped those hours!

We manage 200MB and will be increasing to 350MB - more devices per student.  The nice thing about it is we can dedicate
bw to a particular app/client if needed (like streaming media or video conferencing).  Great to have that flexibility.

We give low bw to all p2p programs so basically it worthless to run one.  Haven't had a notice in 6 years.
HEOC speaks well here.