Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking p2p traffic

From: Robert Lau <rslau () USC EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 19:34:42 +0000

We are using Fortinet 10gig blades to rate limit or block P2P on selected networks.  But P2P traffic on those networks
has rapidly declined over the past year.  Streaming overtook P2P a while ago (several orders of magnitude more
traffic).  Why wait X minutes to download a movie when you can watch it instantly?  However, if your uplink cannot
support multiple simultaneous HD streams, then people may need to resort to P2P downloading.

Based on our experience, and conversations with certain entities, we know that rate limiting does not eliminate DMCA
notices.  The companies that send the notices use various detection techniques (monitoring tracker activity, seeding
trojan content, etc.)  It does not matter if a client is only down/uploading at 100kbps, the fact that they are
participating at all can be enough to trigger the warning.  To people who have recently installed tech and saw a
decrease in DMCA notices, I suspect that is due more to the death of P2P rather than the effectiveness of the tech.

-robert