Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Network Discovery and Mapping software.

From: Chris Davis <Chris.Davis () PRIN EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 21:01:57 +0000

I've had a good mental picture of my network and old diagrams of it available to me for many years, but I'd like to let
go of all that and create a new diagram from scratch.  The first thing I hoped to do was use some kind of tool to
initially discover and map my network.  I spent a great deal of time identifying and setting up SNMP strings and
getting all of that information into all my switches and routers and wireless controllers and other infrastructure
hardware.  Now I'd like to see some payback from that little exercise....

So what I would like to find is a nice little piece of software that I can run to discover, query with snmp for basic
data, and then take a stab at drawing the network for me.  I'd like to start with open source or otherwise free tools,
but am not above hearing about your success with a moderately priced tool.  I'm not going to be interested in something
hugely expensive.

I used to have a freebie that scanned a IP range or subnet and listed the equipment discovered and some basic data
about what was running on it etc., but I'd like to see if I can find something that will map as well.

Thanks.
Chris
Chris Davis
CIS Security Director