Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Closed Network Implementation?

From: Leo Song <song () UOGUELPH CA>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 12:11:17 -0500

Hi, Rick.

What log tool are you using to analyse them? and have you had IDS/IPS implemented? thanks.

On 13-03-07 11:39 AM, Rick Coloccia wrote:
On 3/7/2013 11:35 AM, Willis Marti wrote:
Glenn,
The key lesson is that with a research university, possibly all higher ed, there is no way to know everything our faculty and staff have cooked up when the rules were less strict. I strongly feel you have to put a device in place without rules to determine what "default deny" would reject, before turning it on.

+1.

When we moved from open to closed, I put the firewall in a log-all state for months before throwing the switch. I was then able to work out what everything was, write appropriate rules, interact with the appropriate sysadmins, and make for a very smooth conversion from open to closed.

-Rick

--
Leo Song, Senior Analyst & Cluster Lead
Computing and Communication Services - Networking and Security