Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Closed Network Implementation?

From: Barron Hulver <Barron.Hulver () OBERLIN EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 17:23:37 -0500

I did the same thing when I moved us from open to closed.  That is, I
logged everything.  I then used a combination of frequency analysis on
the log files and researching the appropriate firewall rules to
determine how to set the appropriate rules.  It was a long process with
a few ports denied incorrectly, but overall it went well.

Barron

Barron Hulver
Director of Networking, Operations, and Systems
Center for Information Technology
Oberlin College
148 West College Street
Oberlin, OH  44074