Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Foreign Nationals

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:44:21 -0400

On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:20:59 -0000, "Doty, Timothy T." said:
Now that's just crazy talk!

I prefer the approach where you don't presume knowledge about your adversary
(e.g., the notion that arabs/muslims/chinese are evil so watch out for them)
and take reasonable steps to secure resources from those not authorized access.
And implement logging and auditing to watch for irregular access patterns by
those with authorization. That way it doesn't matter who is, or why they are,
attempting  to get the resource whoever or whatever the case may be.

Now *that* is just *total* crazy talk. If we did that, a large section of the security
community that makes its money spreading FUD and hysteria would be unemployed. ;)