Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Foreign Nationals

From: Dean Halter <dean.halter () NOTES UDAYTON EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:46:35 -0400

Thanks for the reply, Randy.

Guess my question's more general.  Is there anything we need to
consider in our general computing environment - outside of individuals
dealing directly w/ controlled exports and research/contract
restrictions - or should the same types of security controls apply to
everyone on our network, regardless of nationality?  For example, is
there some greater risk to my environment from an international
student, possibly sponsored by an aggressive nation-state, attempting
to hack into resources from the inside or serving as a student
employee and, if so, are there tools/techniques to mitigate this
additional risk specifically?

Dean