Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Foreign Nationals

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 10:15:08 -0400

It gets a lot more complicated than that. Basically, we now have to deal
with ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations). You probably have a
Research and Compliance office and they should have all of the information
you'll need to learn. For example, VA Tech's ITAR info is at
http://www.oesrc.researchcompliance.vt.edu/itar. Basically, these
regulations specify controls needed if foreign nationals are doing research
in a number of areas. Things like physical security of devices become more
obvious if you have to comply with ITAR. EAR (Export Administration
Regulations) are another set of regulations that will require additional
study and work.

Aren't you glad you asked the question? :-)

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office & Lab

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Dean Halter