Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Ports/applications permitted for Guest Access

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:06:10 +0000

We are about to roll out a system that allows anyone on campus to create
guest accounts with the exception that the guest will need to provide their
cell phone number so that we can sms the guest credentials to them.  Not
quite the same as what you were asking, but I really dislike the coffee shop
method of access on an urban campus.

Perhaps, but, I suspect that the visitors to your institution would really appreciate being able to use your network to
do basic network tasks.  For me the question became one of do I have any factual data to support a position of denying
(or putting a more complicated system in place) basic access?  The answer right now is no.  I should also say that one
of my concerns of a more complicated system is the international scope of our campus visitors.  I'd hate (for example)
to have a system in place that was more burdensome for them.

They can lie about all the rest, but the credentials won't appear unless they
provide a legit phone number.
If we do have issues, that's a place for law enforcement to start at least....

Maybe, although the real bad guys will just use a disposable phone, so you won't really be providing any useful data...