Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Ports/applications permitted for Guest Access

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:24:44 -0400

On 09/16/2011 04:58 PM, Roger A Safian wrote:
Just a follow-up to my question of last week.

One of the options we are considering for guest access (this is more
of an issue for wireless, but, could be an issue on wired as well) is
a model similar to a coffee shop.  A visitor would arrive on campus,
and connect to our wireless network.  They would choose something
like Northwestern Guest from a options list, answer a few questions,
(name, email address, whatever) and be granted limited guest access.
No vouching, or access code would be required for this, basically
open access.

For those of you who do provide guest access, do you have a similar
system, and have you had any serious issues?

This is something like what we provide - users register with an email
address and are given twenty minutes of "free" access to get to that
address and click on a link that verifies their account.

It's been foolproof so far, with no real problems.

(It seems that guest wireless questions have been coming up a lot on
this list lately - would there be interest in a discussion on this at
the next SPC? I imagine getting implementers of a few different schemes
might be an interesting panel discussion.)

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu