Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

FW: Ports/applications permitted for Guest Access

From: "Boyd, Daniel" <dboyd () BERRY EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:14:56 -0400

Let me state up-front that we are not currently running this nor have we evaluated this yet, but our Sonicwall
firewalls will do SSL deep packet inspection (via man-in-the-middle decryption) and apply the same rules to that
encrypted traffic that apply to open protocols (blocked sites, blocked protocols, etc).  That particular capability is
a key factor in our next guest network deployment architecture.  I am not sure when our testing period will begin, but
for those who are in the process of looking for solutions for this problem, you might try an evaluation of it.

And yes, I have seen the remarks about the cost of next-gen firewalls on this list and I agree to a point.  You have to
make sure that you are not dragging out the hammer to swat the fly.  It all depends on your security goals and
requirements.  In our case (and I think I have mentioned this before on this list), we aggregated several functions
into our next-gen firewall that reduced our device count and costs.  Not everyone can afford to do this our have an
architecture that lends itself to this approach.

And no, I don't get any royalties from the sale of Sonicwall equipment, I am just a happy customer.  :-)

Daniel H. Boyd (94C)
Senior Network Architect
Network Operations
Berry College
Phone: 706-236-1750
Fax:     706-238-5824

There are two rules to follow with your account passwords:
1. NEVER SEND YOUR PASSWORD VIA EMAIL (TO ANYONE)!!!!!
2. If unsure, consult rule #1