Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Ports/applications permitted for Guest Access

From: Ed Zawacki <edz () UIC EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:20:37 -0500

On 9/16/2011 3:58 PM, Roger A Safian wrote:
Just a follow-up to my question of last week.

One of the options we are considering for guest access (this is more of an issue for wireless, but, could be an issue
on wired as well) is a model similar to a coffee shop.  A visitor would arrive on campus, and connect to our wireless
network.  They would choose something like Northwestern Guest from a options list, answer a few questions, (name,
email address, whatever) and be granted limited guest access.  No vouching, or access code would be required for
this, basically open access.

For those of you who do provide guest access, do you have a similar system, and have you had any serious issues?

Our guest access system is currently sponsor-based (i.e. faculty/staff
create guest accounts for their guests).

We are about to roll out a system that allows anyone on campus to create
guest accounts
with the exception that the guest will need to provide their cell phone
number so that we can sms
the guest credentials to them.  Not quite the same as what you were
asking, but I really dislike the
coffee shop method of access on an urban campus.

They can lie about all the rest, but the credentials won't appear unless
they provide a legit phone number.
If we do have issues, that's a place for law enforcement to start at
least....

edz

--
Ed Zawacki