Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Awareness training and sanctions

From: Greg Schaffer <newtnoise () GMAIL COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:17:58 -0500

It appears to me that there are two issues here that are mixed together.
Sanctions as originally asked are not in regard to not complying with
training but for bad behavior.  That isn't directly enforced via training
but rather by policy.  The training that is created must be in line with
whatever the policy states.  That is the enforcement chain.

Regarding policy creation, ISO 27001/27002 offers a rather complete taxonomy
and controls and NIST 800-53 has additional controls and implementation
guidance.  A good roadmap for creating an effective information security
awareness/training strategy/program is NIST 800-50, with specific tactical
guidance in NIST 800-16.  Good stuff, and it's free...

Greg