Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

classroom management software

From: "Smith, Bob" <smithrj () LONGWOOD EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:38:03 -0400

We have been asked by some of our faculty to evaluate the use of some classroom management software such as iTALC
(Intelligent Teaching And Learning with Computers) and SynchronEyes.  However, we are concerned about privacy issues
connected to the use of such products.

The configuration and "features" of one such product is as follows:

1 - client installed on the instructor station and only accessible by specified instructors
a.      specified instructor has the ability to take control in addition to viewing/monitoring
2 - client installed on the classroom/lab workstations
a.      configured to only be viewable from the specific instructor station
b.      no indication/notice/alarm that viewing/monitoring has been activated
c.      no permission to allow the viewing/monitoring is needed

Problem: Any specified instructor using the instructor station can view/monitor the classroom workstation at any time
without any indication or permission that viewing/monitoring is taking place no matter who is logged on to the
classroom workstation (student, faculty/staff or guest).

If you are using such a product, what steps have you taken (policy, technology or otherwise) to mitigate those concerns?

Thank you.

Bob Smith, CISM
AVP IITS & Information Security Officer
Longwood University