Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Certificate vendors

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:11:28 +1300

On 12/01/2011, at 5:27 PM, Jack Suess wrote:

Colleagues,

Please compare the pricing for the Comodo certs, or any vendor, with that at InCommon -
http://incommonfederation.org/cert  . In the spirit of disclosure, I am on InCommon Steering and my institution
(UMBC) has signed up.

And for those in Australia and New Zealand there is AusCERT who have a similar relationship with Comodo.  We have been
using the AusCERT service for over a year without issues.  Since we joined the scheme which offers unlimited number of
Certs for a fixed fee the number of issued certs has skyrocked.  We now have very few systems with self signed certs
and all of our dev and test environments have 'real' certs the same as prod.

Prior to this we had had issues with certs with systems going into production because we could not fully test some
stuff because test used selfsigned certs or no SSL at all...

Russell.