Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Certificate vendors

From: Martin Manjak <mm376 () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:35:44 -0500

I agree with Derek's comments.

I will also say that we have been using StartSSL certificates for about
a year. They have a fairly rigorous verification process that you pay a
reasonable fee for. If you want domain vs. personal level verification,
you pay for that as well, again at a very reasonable amount.

Then, you can issue certificates to your heart's content. We've even
used them to sign some code.

There are issues with certain mobile devices. I don't know that I would
recommend them for large, high-profile, public facing pages that get a
wide variety of user agents/hardware.

But, they are great for internal use and I believe our VPN ASA is using
one of their certs.

They have been responsive and helpful when we've experienced
difficulties, or needed them to modify some aspects of our business
records with them.

Overall, we've been very pleased with their products and service.

Marty