Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Certificate vendors

From: Kurt Lewis <hawaiiguy () GMAIL COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:20:43 -0800

We started using startSSL about two years ago (www.startssl.com) - get this,
their regular 128-bit SSL certs are FREE.  They have EV certs for about 1/3
the price of verisign, comodo, globalsign, etc.  - Service is top notch and
their products are as good as any other.  I know, sounds too good to be true
right? Please go have a look for yourself- I am no way affiliated with them,
we were using Comodo before. Send them an email and ask some questions, I
think you'll be impressed with their responses and level of knowledge. We're
using their EV certs on our production-facing sites and their regular SSL
certs for a ton of other things. I've seen absolutely no difference with
their certs vs. anyone elses, other that we've saved a ton of money and
recevied a better level of customer service.
-Kurt