Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: "Perry, Jeff" <perry () KU EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:22:14 -0500

We do the same secure dropoff method or our ewaste staff will pick them
up and sign for them.  This allows us a lot better control over the
process (and better instruction following).  We've sampled disks in our
forensic lab and have yet to find one that the 10k gauss (multipass)
degausser didn't cook but you are absolutely correct, the smaller
degaussers (especially the ones where you slide it over a magnet or run
it through a little tunnel etc) aren't sufficient for the newer high
coercivity disks and tape media (like lto4 etc).  Our biggest issue w/
degaussers is making sure the amount of ferrous material attached to the
drive is minimized.  If you've ever seen a 400lb degausser jump, it's a
frightening thing. Good word to the wise though.