Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:29:40 -0400

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:17:57 PDT, you said:

It may be a labor pain and a half to recover an overwritten drive but the
info on the disc may be worth taking to a recovery shop, especially a "no
questions asked recovery shop" to pull data from the drive.

I've asked before, and I'll ask again - does *anybody* have any *actual*
evidence that recovery from even a single overwrite is in fact possible
on a modern drive (as opposed to the barely-doable work in Gutmann's
paper from 1995 on MFM-encoded drives)?

Fires, dropped in a lake, run over by a truck, 'format c:', are all recoverable.
*NOBODY* has, to my knowledge, demonstrated an *actual* ability to recover
a single-overwrite.

Feel free to cite actual evidence, I've been looking for a decade and still coming
up empty.