Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: Eric Jernigan <eric.jernigan () PCC EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:09:47 -0700

We have a degausser as well. It is nice because we can use it on kinds of
magnetic media and it is very fast. It was being used for tape and when we
replaced it, we opted for a model that would also be able to degauss HDD as
well. In light of the CBS news story about copier hard drives, this has been
a confidence builder for the community.

The only thing to keep in mind is that it will have a diminishing rate of
effectiveness as drive size increases. The gauss output might make someone
sterile (kidding but we had techs scared of this happening), from three
stories above the degausser, but as the magnetic coercivity of the drive
increases, the  gauss power required to erase the data on discs increases.

I wish there was a more user friendly Secure Erase solution available that
"drove" like DBAN.

Double height disks? Never seen such a critter outside a book; interesting.

Eric Jernigan
Information Security Manager,
Technology Solution Services
Portland Community College
PO Box 19000
Portland OR 97280-0990
503-977-4896
Eric.jernigan () pcc edu
http://www.pcc.edu/resources/tss/info-security/
and may contain sensitive or privileged information as well as information
covered by the Privacy Act, FERPA, HIPAA, and/or other laws. It is being
e-mailed as the most practical method of transacting business. As such, it
must be safeguarded. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited unless permission is obtained from the original
sender.